[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 23 12:13:09 PST 2005

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>  >> I think we are a bit late for changing whether LISTGROUP is
>  >> optional or not, but I like the idea of a range parameter. Is that
>  >> currently implemented anywhere to anyone's knowledge?
>
>  Russ> Not so far as I know, but I'll probably implement it in INN by
>  Russ> the end of the day.
>
> LISTGROUP can already take an optional group parameter - what
> combinations do you think should be allowed? And how do you cope with
> the fact that "9-11" might actually be used as a group name?

Forgive my ignorance and/or naivety, but unless the client is actually
trying to list articles in a toplevel group (do toplevel groups even
contain articles?) wouldn't the group parameter always contain at least
one hierarchy separator (".")?  If so, "." clearly is not a valid
character for use in a range, so we *should* be able to differtiate
between "LISTGROUP <group>" and "LISTGROUP <range>".

Alternatively, we can stipulate that the range parameter can only be
used if a group is also specified:

LISTGROUP [group [range]]

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127