[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-base-25 comments

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:58:28 PST 2005

David Magda <dmagda+nntpext at ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> I figured it was something like that. My only response would be that
> it's the server that is doing the accepting, any server that advertises
> "VERSION 2" in the capabilities will implement the updated NNTP protocol
> so should be able to handle the "UTC".

> If an updated newsreader sends CAPABILITIES and gets an error (or at
> least does not get "VERSION 2") then it should know to send "GMT".

This is true.  The previous conclusion was reached before we decided on
the VERSION 2 stuff (which was added in the last round of discussion
following the previous Last Call).  So we could in theory fix it now,
however...

> Overall though I agree with you that this is mostly being pedantic and a
> bikeshed topic.

...I'm inclined to still leave it alone for this reason, unless people
really feel strongly about tackling it.