[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-base-25 comments

David Magda dmagda+nntpext at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon Mar 14 16:55:45 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:36:29PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> I'd prefer to just drop the standards language from that sentence
> and instead just say:
>
>     NNTP operates over any reliable data stream 8-bit-wide channel.  This
>     document assumes use of TCP, but other bidirectional stream protocols
>     can and sometimes are used.

Perhaps a closer mix between the previous statement and what you have
above would be:

      The channel that NNTP traverses MUST be a reliable two-way
      datastream that is 8-bit clean.

This gives some flexibility but ensures the channel can handle
NNTP. Also a small typo: "This document assumes the use of TCP ..."
                                               ^^^^^

>     Initially, the server host starts the NNTP service by listening
>     on a TCP port.  When a client host wishes to make use of the
>     service, it establishes a TCP connection with the server host
>     by connecting to that host on the same port on which the server
>     is listening.
>
> or something along those lines.

Agreed.

> This was discussed a fair bit previously.  The problem with
> switching to UTC is that in essence we would be declaring all
> existing clients noncompliant with the standard for solely pedantic

I figured it was something like that. My only response would be that
it's the server that is doing the accepting, any server that
advertises "VERSION 2" in the capabilities will implement the updated
NNTP protocol so should be able to handle the "UTC".

If an updated newsreader sends CAPABILITIES and gets an error (or at
least does not get "VERSION 2") then it should know to send "GMT".

Overall though I agree with you that this is mostly being pedantic
and a bikeshed topic.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/