[NNTP] Working group last call

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 14 06:41:45 PST 2005

Ken Murchison said:
> Here is the current wording.  I've just about reached the end of my
> word-smithing ability on this one, so any further change requests will
> have to be accompanied by suggested text.  ;)

Taking the view that the command is mandatory but discouraged, the
following would satisfy me:

> "2.3. MODE STREAM Command
>
>      Historically this command was used by a client to discover if a
>      server supported the CHECK and TAKETHIS commands.  This command is
>      deprecated in favor of the CAPABILITIES discovery command and is
>      only documented here for compatibility with legacy implementations
>      [NNTP-COMMON] of these transport commands.

s/documented/provided/

>      New clients SHOULD use the CAPABILITIES command to check a server
>      for support of the STREAMING extension but MAY implement and use
>      the MODE STREAM command for backwards compatibility with legacy
>      servers that don't support the CAPABILITIES discovery command.

s/implement and use/use/

["Implement" is, to me, what a server does.]

>      Servers SHOULD accept the MODE STREAM command for backwards
>      compatibility with legacy clients which don't use the CAPABILITIES
>      discovery command.

s/SHOULD/MUST/, since it's required for this version.

>      NOTE: This command will be removed from subsequent versions of this
>      specification, therefore clients are urged to transition to the
>      CAPABILTIES command wherever possible.

s/will be removed from subsequent versions/may be removed from a future
version/, since we don't know what issues will drive future versions.

> 2.3.1. Usage
>
>      Syntax
>         MODE STREAM

>         203   Streaming permitted
>
> 2.3.2. Description
>
>      If a server supports this extension and the MODE STREAM command, it

s/and the MODE STREAM command//, since it's mandatory.