[NNTP] New NNTP drafts approaching IETF Last Call

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 12 23:46:03 PST 2005

Hello folks,

After the previous IETF Last Call near the end of last year, problems with
the LIST EXTENSIONS specification were discovered and we spend some time
reworking that part of the proposed new NNTP standard.  The result, which
replaces the LIST EXTENSIONS command (which was implemented incorrectly by
some servers) with a new CAPABILITIES command and attempts to ensure that
all the details of what commands are implemented can be determined by the
results of that command, is currently in working group last call and
(based on the feedback so far) will likely be put forward for IETF Last
Call by the end of this month.

Please, if you have an interest in the new NNTP standard, take a look at
the current set of documents.  The base standard is at:

    <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-base-25.txt>

and the current drafts of the AUTHINFO, TLS, and STREAMING extensions are
at:

<http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-07pre1.txt>
<http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-04pre1.txt>
<http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-05pre1.txt>

(These will be submitted as regular I-Ds before the IETF Last Call, of
course, incorporating the few changes that have surfaced during the
working group last call.)

You can get to the list information page at:

and to the (recent) list archives at:

    <http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/ietf-nntp/>