[NNTP] Article ranges

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Mar 7 10:14:28 PST 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:

> I see that our current draft, following RFC 2980, only allows nnn-nnn and
> nnn- as ranges.
>
>    The message-id argument indicates a specific article.  The range
>    argument may be any of the following:
>    o  an article number
>    o  an article number followed by a dash to indicate all following
>    o  an article number followed by a dash followed by another article
>       number
>
> INN also supports -nnn and -.  Should we mention anything at all about
> this in the draft, or just stick with what we have?  My inclination is to
> stay with what we have, since it's easier to turn the latter form into a
> supported range by just prepending "1" and this description is simpler,

Agreed.  The range only needs to be open ended on the high side, not the
low side (as the low end is always known to be "1").  Any client
software which is either too lazy to specify the "1" or is trying to
save the 1 byte of bandwidth, is destined to die.  ;)

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127