[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-base-25

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 7 03:48:30 PST 2005

Ken Murchison said:
> 3.3.2:  The sentences that describe the LISTGROUP and POST arguments for
> READER state that they "MUST be a single argument", leading one to
> believe that the two arguments are mutually exclusive, which is clearly
> not the case (as evidenced by the note in parenthesis).  I guess my
> concern is with the use of "single".
>
> 3.4.1:  "Except as an effect of the MODE READERMODE READER command on a
> mode-switching server, once a server advertises either or both of the
> IHAVE or READER capabilities, it MUST NOT cease to advertise them later
> in the session."
>
> Rather than using the negative, wouldn't something like this sound better:
>
> "... it MUST continue to advertise them for the entire session."

Both these changes made to my master copy.

> 3.4.2:  Could we get something like the following added after "However,
> the server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER capability after the
> client uses any command except CAPABILITIES."
>
> "Specifically, the server MUST NOT advertise the MODE-READER capability
> after the client uses the MODE READER command or after any security or
> privacy commands are issued."
>
> I'm looking for some text to reference in STARTTLS and AUTHINFO which
> states this.

The first part - concerning MODE READER - is already there in another form:
after a successful MODE READER command the server is in "reading" mode and
MUST NOT advertise the MODE-READER capability. [Oops: I had "MUST not".]

As for security and privacy, I think that's actually an issue for each
extension. So just put your own working in your documents, along the lines
of:

    The server MUST NOT advertise the MODE-READER capability, and the
    client MUST NOT use the MODE READER command, after the client uses
    any of the commands in this document.