[NNTP] STARTTLS diffs

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jun 14 13:50:08 PDT 2005

EKR wrote:

> In some sense this is fine, as it embodies the RFC 2818 model of the
> universe. However, it doesn't really match up so well with a
> self-signed cert model, in which it doesn't really matter what
> the DN is, b/c you're trusting it explicitly anyway... I mean,
> you *can* check the domain name, but why bother....
>
> I'm not sure what model you expect people to be using...

I'm expecting the NNTP STARTTLS implementation to be as close as
possible to IMAP, POP3 and SMTP.  All three of these specs have similar
wording.  In fact, I took this wording from either RFC 3501 or RFC 2595.
  Is there something different about NNTP that makes the above text
silly/useless or are you saying that its silly/useless for all of the
messaging protocols?

Would you completely remove the above text from the NNTP STARTTLS document?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127