[NNTP] STREAMING diffs (take 2)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Jun 14 03:24:59 PDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:01 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> So, the whole reason why I wrote the text this morning is that,
> thinking
> about it, I felt like there was an issue regarding pre-commit caches
> that
> most everyone implements, that's necessary to avoid duplicate articles
> in
> practice, but that the document doesn't talk about.  That's not
> actually
> just a question of abuse, although it happens to also help with one
> particular abuse case.  So I think we're talking about multiple things
> here.

> [...] Could folks weigh in on what they think about both?

Okay, I've lost track of what the original proposed addition was.

I -do- think we should talk about the pre-commit caching a little more
than we currently do (which is simply "if, for example, another client
has offered to send the same article to the server").

I agree implementors are -not required- to have such a cache.  But this
is one of those cases we've discussed previously, where we wrote the
document with domain-specific knowledge that has not been encoded in
the text.  I think our justification for 431 should be clear from the
specification without any special background.  (Does anyone feel that
this -isn't- the reason for 431?)

However, I don't feel that we need to say much more about the security
implications of this vs other commands.  I was originally somewhat
convinced by the argument that a broken STREAMING client can
inadvertently deny service by offering a message-id and then crashing
before sending it, but with Andrew's description of a more intelligent
caching system, I'm now leaning towards considering that an
implementation detail.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org