[NNTP] STREAMING diffs (take 2)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 13 13:18:23 PDT 2005

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Same here.  I don't understand.  Surely the use of deferrals and the
>> interaction between CHECK and TAKETHIS are protocol issues?

> The vulnerability that we're discussing isn't inherent in the design of
> the CHECK command.  Its only present in server implementations which
> choose to "lock" a particular message-id that it receives from a CHECK
> command.  You can certainly write a server which isn't subject to this
> attack.

Yeah, but does anyone?  I thought that approach was pretty much universal
in servers that implement streaming, since otherwise you get a ton of
duplicates, particularly of large articles.  Or you end up not getting
articles if you go the other direction and refuse articles promised but
not sent by another connection.

> As I said, I'm not going to argue strongly against adding your suggested
> text, but it seems like BCP stuff to me.  Then again, I might be full of
> shit.

I can see the point about it being BCP stuff, but we aren't splitting
implementation best practices from protocol issues currently in the NNTP
documents.  It feels very borderline to me, I guess.