[NNTP] Fwd: Gen-art review of draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-05

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jun 13 10:36:44 PDT 2005

elwynd at dial.pipex.com wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something here, but the original reason for my raising this
> query is that the streaming commands are different from the others.

Different how?  Many of the commands defined in the base document can be
"pipelined" (e.g. STAT, HEAD, ARTICLE, OVER), in the same fashion as
CHECK and TAKETHIS.  The only reason for CHECK and TAKETHIS is that
IHAVE is a two step command where it requires the client to wait for an
initial response before sending the article, therefore it can not be
"pipelined".  CHECK and TAKETHIS simply split the two steps into
separate commands.

So, if you have issues with "pipelined" commands, then you have issues
with the base NNTP spec as well as IMAP and POP3.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127