[NNTP] AUTHINFO diffs

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jun 9 07:17:38 PDT 2005

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> So, then, what's the actual meaning of the "Unrecognized..." sentence?
> Is there any protocol problem we're at risk here?  The "Future
> extensions..." sentence is useful, but what does the second sentence add?

The second sentence is just telling the client that it shouldn't
choke/crash/format-hard-drive if its sees an AUTHINFO option that it
doesn't know about.  It should continue using those that it does know
about, hence the "MUST ignore".

As far as reporting unrecognized options to the user, we're not
preventing this at all.  All we're discussing in our document is the
protocol, not user interaction.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127