[NNTP] STARTTLS -- port 563 language

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Jun 7 16:39:23 PDT 2005

I just noticed that I had an outstanding change lying around on disk.
I don't remember if I reworded this in response to a specific issue, or
if it just struck me as a confusingly long and winding sentence.

Does anyone remember and/or think the revised text is an improvement?

-Although current use of TLS most often involves the dedication of port
-563 for NNTP over TLS, the continued use of TLS on a separate port is
-discouraged for the reasons documented in section 7 of "Using TLS with
-IMAP, POP3 and ACAP" [TLS-IMAPPOP].
+
+In some existing implementations, TCP port 563 has been dedicated to
+NNTP over TLS.  These implementations begin the TLS negotiation
+immediately upon connection, and then continue with the initial steps
of
+an NNTP session.  This use of TLS on a separate port is discouraged for
+the reasons documented in section 7 of "Using TLS with IMAP, POP3 and
+ACAP" [TLS-IMAPPOP].  The STARTTLS command is the preferred way of
using
+TLS with NNTP.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur