[NNTP] Article number wording

Steve Walker nntp at nntpserver.com
Fri Jul 29 07:29:43 PDT 2005

Urs Janßen wrote:

>as most servers (>99%) won't exceed the 32bit artnums within the next ~5
>years client authors do not have fix it emediately...
>
>IMHO we should leave the artnum stuff for the next RFC.

The problem is that the current draft has addressed the issue.  It says
32 bit numbers and no roll over.  If you wish to leave it open as 977
did, you need to remove the current text on the matter.  In either case
you still have to make a change to the current draft.  Either leave it
open, or specify 64 bit numbers.  I think it's just as easy to change to
64 bit numbers as it is to remove the current 32 bit limit.

The very old unix clients are not normally used on modern binary
servers.  Any 64 bit change would not effect them for several years and
by that time 32 bit computers will not be in use.

Steve.