[NNTP] Article number wording

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 28 10:05:51 PDT 2005

Steve Walker <nntp at nntpserver.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It's my intention to accumulate implementation information and start
>> draft standard work a year or two after we release nntp-base, which
>> would give us another chance to revisit these issues (hopefully we
>> won't have so many changes that we have to do another round at
>> proposed, but it's always possible).

> What about the servers like mine that will exceed the 32 bit limit
> before your two year plan?  I will be pushing >32bit number before 2
> years.

If you're asking my personal opinion, I think you made a poor choice in
implementation strategies without first checking whether clients could
handle your setup.

No matter what we say or don't say in this draft, you're still going to
have serious problems in two years with regular news reader clients.