[NNTP] Re: GenART reviews of draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-07 and draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-09

Ned Freed ned.freed at mrochek.com
Sat Jul 23 07:28:46 PDT 2005

> Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:

> > <nit> RFC 2222 is in normative and informative references' sections in
> > the authinfo I-D.  Is that intended? </nit>

> RFC 2222 currently includes the description of SASL/GSSAPI, but the
> update to RFC 2222 will not, SASL/GSSAPI will be its own document.  So,
> the informative reference to RFC 2222 is there as a placeholder for the
> separate SASL/GSSAPI document when its published.  Perhaps this is the
> wrong way to handle this.  Any suggestions?

Why not simply refer to draft-ietf-sasl-gssapi-02.txt - I assume that's
the document you're talking about. There's nothing wrong with having
a reference to an I-D; the RFC Editor knows how to handle them.

> > <edit>Page 9, third paragraph from the bottom, last sentence of the
> > -tls- I-D: "Furthermore, just because an NNTP server can authenticate
> > ..." is not clear, and may be incorrect: articles *from* the NNTP client
> > ... when the client *received* them.  Please correct/clarify that
> > sentence. </edit>

> This was taken almost verbatim from RFC 3207.  I'll see if I can rewrod it.

I have to say I'm always amused when this happens: Wording which was good
enough to be published in one RFC doesn't pass muster when reused.

				Ned