[NNTP] 64-bit article counter extension strawman

Steve Walker nntp at nntpserver.com
Mon Jul 18 09:24:00 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:
> My problem with making 64-bit support a SHOULD is twofold: I think it's a
> landmine for implementors, and I really, really don't want to make any

The same thing can be said for mandating 32 bit support.  I don't
think you can even claim that most software is 32 bit clean as
anything that used 'int' is going to break at 31 bits.  We
currently have a mix of 31, 32 and 64 bit software.  You would be
better off leaving out any limit if your plans are to address the
issue latter.  No matter what limit is used, most software needs
to be reviewed and updated.

> further changes to the document at this point, now that we're *finally*
> done.  There's always going to be just one more thing.

That's just being lazy.  This is a major problem that is
guaranteed to cause the complete malfunction of the Usenet system
at some point.  It's irresponsible to call this a completed
protocol if it adds a new article number limit and doesn't
specify what to do when it's reached.

Steve.