[NNTP] 64-bit article counter extension strawman

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 18 08:31:13 PDT 2005

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> OK, we have a start.  I think this is an important enough issue (I might
> be in the minority with Steve on this) that we should have a reasonable
> solution fleshed out before we close the door on making this part of
> NNTP-base.  I still don't see the problem with making 64-bit a SHOULD or
> RECOMMENDation in NNTP-base since no current groups have exceeded
> 32-bits that we know of, but if this is a non-starter, let's at least
> have a viable alternative in sight, so we don't paint ourselves into a
> corner and end up with some crufty hack down the road.

My problem with making 64-bit support a SHOULD is twofold: I think it's a
landmine for implementors, and I really, really don't want to make any
further changes to the document at this point, now that we're *finally*
done.  There's always going to be just one more thing.

An extension such as what we're discussing here could be written up in a
separate draft and go forward on its own schedule, and then be considered
for inclusion into the base document during the draft standard revision (I
think we're allowed to do that sort of thing).