[NNTP] 64-bit article counter extension strawman

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jul 18 05:45:04 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:

> I like this a lot better; this was the sort of extension that I had in
> mind.
>
> One possible variation would be to add a new command other than GROUP for
> accessing large-numbered groups and a new command other than LIST ACTIVE
> for retrieving active file information, which would obviate the need for
> client-side negotiation and storing additional server state to remember if
> the client supports large-numbered groups.

OK, we have a start.  I think this is an important enough issue (I might
  be in the minority with Steve on this) that we should have a
reasonable solution fleshed out before we close the door on making this
part of NNTP-base.  I still don't see the problem with making 64-bit a
SHOULD or RECOMMENDation in NNTP-base since no current groups have
exceeded 32-bits that we know of, but if this is a non-starter, let's at
least have a viable alternative in sight, so we don't paint ourselves
into a corner and end up with some crufty hack down the road.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127