[NNTP] 64-bit article counter extension strawman

Steve Walker nntp at nntpserver.com
Sun Jul 17 20:01:33 PDT 2005

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
 > But I really don't want to start piling commands onto the
front > of every NNTP session, and having separate GROUP64 and LIST
 > ACTIVE64 (or whatever we call them) seems to be the only way to
 > avoid that.

Two commands that do the exact same thing are redundant.  The
existing 64 bit clean software works fine with the existing
command set.  What is needed is a method to tell the 32 bit
software that it won't work and it should go away or accept what
happens.

It's common practice for servers to zero-pad article numbers.
What if we just said something like:

Servers that have the capability to handle article numbers
greater than 2^32-1 MUST zero pad the ranges published by the
list and group commands.  Clients should expect article numbers
greater than 2^32-1 if they receive article number responses with
a text length greater than 10 digits.

The number 2^32-1 fits in a 10 digit text string.  Any zero
padded number larger than 10 digits is already implying a
potential article number greater than 10 billion.  Zero padding
numbers in the list and group output is a very easy and simple
way to inform the client that article numbers may be given that
exceed 2^32-1.

As a bonus it fixes the problem without specify any new absolute
limit, which IMO, a text protocol shouldn't.  If any existing 32
bit software zero pads greater than 10 digits we could increase
this number with causing any problems up to 20 digits (64 bit
number).

Steve.