[NNTP] Extension snapshots 3

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jan 31 07:42:18 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>Here are the latest versions of the extensions docs.
>

> Using the official versions at the I-D repository.
>
> General
>
> Your various CAPABILITIES examples need to be audited against the
> latest [NNTP], to ensure that, for example, they have the correct LIST
> arguments based on the other capabilities.

Added LIST OVERVIEW.FMT to STARTTLS draft and LIST HEADERS to STREAMING
draft.  Did you see anything else missing?

> STREAMING
>
> 2.3.2: the last sentence contradicts the first. Since the first sentence
> says it MUST support MODE STREAM if streaming works, the SHOULD in the last
> sentence makes no sense. Just delete the last sentence.

OK, I see your point.  What I'm trying to say is that MODE STREAM isn't
required (because its deprecated by CAPABILITIES), but if supported, it
returns 203.  What if I change the first sentence to:

"If a server supports the MODE STREAM, CHECK, and TAKETHIS commands it
MUST return a 203 response to the MODE STREAM command (or 501 if an
argument is given) and MUST NOT have any other effect.

> STARTTLS
>
> 2.1. The sentence "However, ..." needs adjusting. Try:
>
>     However, the capability MUST NOT be advertised once a TLS layer
>     is active (see section 2.2.2.2), or after any alternative mechanism
>     that installs a security layer (e.g. [NNTP-AUTH]).
>
> Note the change to MUST NOT. The second bit is because, in principle,
> STARTTLS after a USER authentication, or an SASL authentication that
> does *not* set up a security layer, should be fine.

Not true.  Successful STARTTLS resets the state of the connection, so we
don't allow STARTTLS after *any* authentication.  Here's the current
sentence:

"However, this capability MUST NOT be advertised once a TLS layer is
active (see section 2.2.2.2), or after successful authentication
[NNTP-AUTH]."

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127