[NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jan 12 07:49:04 PST 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>

>>True. All I'm asking is that the SASL capability remain advertised.
>

>>How about:
>

>>    The server MUST advertise the SASL capability throughout the session,
>>    even if no longer advertising the AUTHINFO capability. It MUST NOT
>>    change the list of SASL mechanisms as an effect of the AUTHINFO
>>    command, even if this establishs a security layer. (As described by
>>    [SASL], this then enables the client to to detect a possible active
>>    down-negotiation attack.) It MAY change the list as an effect of
>>    other commands or extensions (e.g. [NNTP-TLS]).
>

> This is fine with me.

I like Clive's wording, but it didn't seem to fit seemlessly with the
current text.  Here's what I have now, which is a merging and slight
modification of two adjacent paragraphs in pre3:

"In agreement with [SASL], the server MUST continue to advertise the SASL
capability in response to a CAPABILITIES command with the same list of
SASL mechanisms as before authentication (thereby enabling the client
to detect a possible active down-negotiation attack).  Other
capabilities returned in response to a CAPABILITIES command received
after authentication MAY be different than those returned before
authentication.  For example, an NNTP server may not want to advertise
support for a specific extension unless a client has been
authenticated."

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127