[NNTP] Snapshot 6

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 03:18:43 PST 2005

In <41E41059.8040809 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>> Here's the actual situation:
>>
>>   If server advertises             then it
>>
>>   * OVERVIEW.FMT argument          MUST provide LIST OVERVIEW.FMT
>>
>>   * OVER capability                MUST provide both commands
>>                                    MUST advertise OVERVIEW.FMT argument.
>>

>Isn't providing LIST OVERVIEW.FMT or LIST HEADERS without OVER or HDR
>(respectively) nonsense?  I really don't see how the former are useful
>without the latter.

Well I suppose a server that implemented only the old XOVER might still
want to provide LIST OVERVIEW.FMT.

>This goes back to my opposition to having OVERVIEW.FMT and HEADERS as
>arguments to the LIST capability.  By having these arguments, we open
>ourselves up to this kind of nonsense.

No, I like them as arguments to the LIST capability, but it would be nicer
if it could be arranged that this nonsense was forbidden by some other
means. Though it will not be the end of the world if it isn't (I can't see
any server in Real Life actually doing such things).

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.