[NNTP] Snapshot 6

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jan 11 21:24:05 PST 2005

Peter Robinson said:
>>> The initial registry includes an entry for the generic modifier, -label.
[...]
> What I'm saying is that, for each capability, whether it defines a
> -label capability modifier, and how to activate it, should be explicitly
> stated in the specification for that capability.  And that the wording
> about the -label wildcard should be for guidance on how such modifiers
> should be defined, and should not define any capability modifiers in
> itself.

I did end up agreeing with you, with the minor detail that I didn't want to
force the registry to duplicate lots of stuff.

[...]
>> Actually there is a subtle difference: -480 is more inclusive than -AUTHINFO.
> So it does.  I had assumed -AUTHINFO was a bug not a feature.

It was.

While I really hope Ken doesn't do this - and will object if he did - in
principle the AUTHINFO document *could* say "-AUTHINFO means this
capability is only available after AUTHINFO authentication, and not after
any other kind of authentication". But I really don't expect anyone to want
to do it that way.

>>> -READER OVER           [Which READER command must client send first?]
>> Any of them?
> If so, I'd say this needs to be stated in the specification for the
> READER capability.
[...]

My next few responses were getting ironic; it was meant to indicate that I
understood your point.

In particular:
> I don't know this document as well as you, so I
> may be missing it, but I don't see the answer to that question anywhere.

is because the document *doesn't* answer it.

> I didn't imagine that you actually wanted a -label modifier for
> essentially every capability!

Well, I did, but only as a placeholder for when it's useful.

>> Okay, the text has been changed to:
>>
>>     -label   the capability can be enabled by use of the facility with
>>              this capability label; the server MUST NOT use this modifier
>>              except as specified by the definition of the latter
>>              capability.
>
> I'm happy with that text.  Does that mean that -MODE-READER is now the
> only capability-derived modifier defined by this document?

Correct.

>>> Shouldn't this say that it MUST NOT be pipelined?
>> I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

and, to be clear, I've made the change.