[NNTP] Snapshot 6

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Tue Jan 11 16:10:22 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather <clive at demon.net> wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:

> > We can't/shouldn't have the same capability advertised twice, e.g.:
> >
> > -483 AUTHINFO USER
> > AUTHINFO SASL
> > -483 SASL PLAIN
> > SASL CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
>
> Actually, that's how I intended things to be done, and there are examples
> saying so. Wording changed to:
>
>     The server MUST NOT list the same capability twice in the response
>     without modifiers or with the same set of modifiers.

OK, I like that functionality, but it does mean that the following two
capability responses say different things about the core READER commands
(e.g. ARTICLE):

[S] -480 READER POST
[S] READER
[S] .

[S] -480 READER POST
[S] .

Is everyone happy with that?  Is it sufficiently clear/obvious that the
-480 applies only to POST in the first example?

And what does this:

[S] -480 READER
[S] -483 READER
[S] .

mean?  Is it one or the other, or is it both required to activate
READER?

Peter