[NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jan 11 01:33:37 PST 2005

Russ Allbery said:
>> But if Russ feels we should leave it open and always advertise SASL, then
>> I won't argue.
>
> Isn't the key bit in the above the "same list of SASL mechanisms" part?  I
> don't see any way of keeping that bit in without saying something like the
> above, since there are other circumstances besides negotiating a security
> layer via SASL where the advertised list *can* change.  (As a result of
> STARTTLS, for instance.)

True. All I'm asking is that the SASL capability remain advertised.

How about:

    The server MUST advertise the SASL capability throughout the session,
    even if no longer advertising the AUTHINFO capability. It MUST NOT
    change the list of SASL mechanisms as an effect of the AUTHINFO
    command, even if this establishs a security layer. (As described by
    [SASL], this then enables the client to to detect a possible active
    down-negotiation attack.) It MAY change the list as an effect of
    other commands or extensions (e.g. [NNTP-TLS]).