[NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 7 11:15:54 PST 2005

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> And, actually, even worse than that, this says that the output of
>> CAPABILITIES may change in circumstances other than the places we've
>> documented that explicitly (AUTHINFO, STARTTLS, and MODE READER).  I don't
>> think that's a good idea; the CAPABILITIES output shouldn't vary except as
>> a result of specific commands that perform major state changes and are
>> documented as possibly changing the server capabilities.

> What if we said something like this instead:

> The client MUST NOT send this command, and the server MUST NOT
> advertise the MODE-READER capability, if the server is already in the
> "reader" state (designated by the advertisement of the READER capability),
> or if a privacy or security command has been issued successfully.

I got lost in the middle of that sentence.  Maybe this is a bit clearer?

    The client SHOULD NOT issue MODE READER after issuing any commands
    other than CAPABILITIES and MUST NOT issue it more than once or after
    any security or privacy commands are issued.  The server MUST NOT
    advertise the MODE-READER capabiliity after a successful MODE READER,
    privacy, or security command.