[NNTP] Snapshot 5

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:36:04 PST 2005

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> This also looks good to me.  After the additional discussion on this
>> list, I think LIST ACTIVE should match LIST NEWSGROUPS (mandatory for
>> reader servers, optional for transit servers).

> Okay. Note that this means that a client of a transit server will have
> no way to check what groups the server supports.

Right.  That is the case today in practice.  At some point, we're going to
need to develop some sort of feed information extension to communicate all
of the details that one really wants to communicate to peers, but that's a
separate discussion to take up after we finish with what we're working on
now.

>> from what we generally have now, but that's such an edge case that I
>> don't think it's going to cause significant problems.  But if anyone
>> else disagrees, please speak up.

> We'll need a warning that clients should be prepared to receive 502 in
> this circumstance.

Yes.