[NNTP] 500 v 501

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jan 5 08:12:15 PST 2005

Since we're revisiting this area ...

If a command like LIST ACTIVE is not implemented, the response code is:
* 500 if LIST itself is not implemented;
* 501 if other LIST commands *are* implemented.
The logic for this was that the command is LIST and it has a number of
variants; picking the wrong variant is a syntax error.

Do we want to retain this, or do we want to say that some commands have two
parts to the name and so 500 is always the right response?