[NNTP] Snapshot 5

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:57:47 PST 2005

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Ken Murchison said:

>> Section 3.6.5:

>> Do we really want to list AUTHINFO, SASL, STARTTLS and STREAMING in the
>> base doc?  I thought that we had agreed to not reference other NNTP
>> extension docs if at all possible.

> If you recall, one of the objections at IETF level was the lack of the
> authentication and privacy facilities. Though we now mention them in the
> text and via Informative References, I thought it better to explicitly
> list them in the initial IANA registry as well. We expect all four
> documents to be published at the same time, after all.

> I accept the argument is weaker for STREAMING.

> Russ, views?

If we're going to publish them all at the same time anyway, I think it
makes sense to go ahead and cross-reference them since the readers are
going to need to know about all of them.  But I'll double-check with our
AD on that.

>> Should OVERVIEW.FMT and HEADERS really be listed as LIST arguments?
>> Both of these LIST variants are governed by their own capabilities
>> (OVER and HDR respectively).  Its seems kind of crufty that a single
>> command like LIST HEADERS would have both a separate capability (HDR)
>> and an argument to a second capability (LIST) to advertise it.

> Opinion on this matter seems to be split. It's also why I wanted to
> rename LIST HEADERS as something else.

I'm inclined to leave it alone; it's a little odd, but it doesn't seem to
hurt anything.