[NNTP] Snapshot 5

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 03:50:29 PST 2005

In <41D973BA.5080608 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>Section 3.6.3:

>I'm also not a fan of the modifiers, especially the comment modifier.

Granted they are ugly, they do serve a useful purpose. Would they be less
conspicuous if they appeared at the end of the line of output rather than
at the beginning. People who did not care for them could then ignore them,
and there would be less parsing hassle.

>> * The LIST command (7.6) has been rewritten as requested by many.
>> * Consequential changes to the formal syntax.

>Sections 7.6.2, 8.3.2 and 8.4.2:

>Should OVERVIEW.FMT and HEADERS really be listed as LIST arguments?
>Both of these LIST variants are governed by their own capabilities (OVER
>and HDR respectively).  Its seems kind of crufty that a single command
>like LIST HEADERS would have both a separate capability (HDR) and an
>argument to a second capability (LIST) to advertise it.

No, I think it is OK as it stands. If you want to know whether the
extension is implemented, you look for a HDR capability. If you want to
know what LIST commands are available (as provided by a whole bunch of
options and extensions), you look at the LIST capability.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.