[NNTP] Snapshot 5

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Jan 4 07:01:59 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>Section 3.6.2:
>>
>>Perhaps we should borrow the following from RFC 2449 for the description
>>of IMPLEMENTATION:
>>
>>"(Note that since capability line arguments are separated by whitespace,
>>it may be convenient for the IMPLEMENTATION capability argument to not
>>contain whitespace, so that it is a single token.)
>

> I don't follow the logic of 2449 there; since the entire rest of the line
> is the server identification, why arbitrarily limit it to one token?
> I'm against doing this.

I'm assuming that the fear was that a client would parse the arguments
into individual tokens rather than just treating everything following
"IMPLEMENTATION" as a single string.  As long as the client doesn't
rearrange the tokens or try to infer any meaning based on the order, I
suppose its not a big deal.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127