[NNTP] LISTGROUP extension

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jan 3 01:35:26 PST 2005

Russ Allbery said:
>> Can we reword this paragraph? A first suggestion is "and lists precisely
>> those articles that exist in the group at the time when the command
>> arrived at the server. Note that articles may be removed or added to the
>> group at any time, so a client MUST NOT assume that retrieval commands
>> for article or details thereof will succeed."  but the standards gurus
>> may have more background information than I do.
>
> Note that we've closed discussion of this part of the draft, but I don't
> want that to get in the way of making simple clarification changes if
> everyone thinks they're okay.  I think the first part of your rephrasing
> is fine, and if this seems completely uncontroversial to everyone else,
> I'm fine with Clive making that change.  I don't think the second sentence
> is really necessary.

I don't like "when the command arrived at the server", because there may be
a delay before processing.

GROUP (6.1.1.2) uses the words "at the moment of selection" and I think
that's better, so I'm going to use it:

    The list contains one number per line, is in numerical order, and
    lists precisely those articles that exist in the group at the moment
    of selection.

The second sentence is unnecessary - 6.1.1.2 describes things well enough
and LISTGROUP defers to it in these aspects.