[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-base-25

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Feb 10 09:24:06 PST 2005

Some minor nits:

3.3.2:  The sentences that describe the LISTGROUP and POST arguments for
READER state that they "MUST be a single argument", leading one to
believe that the two arguments are mutually exclusive, which is clearly
not the case (as evidenced by the note in parenthesis).  I guess my
concern is with the use of "single".

3.4.1:  "Except as an effect of the MODE READERMODE READER command on a
mode-switching server, once a server advertises either or both of the
IHAVE or READER capabilities, it MUST NOT cease to advertise them later
in the session."

Rather than using the negative, wouldn't something like this sound better:

"... it MUST continue to advertise them for the entire session."

3.4.2:  Could we get something like the following added after "However,
the server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER capability after the
client uses any command except CAPABILITIES."

"Specifically, the server MUST NOT advertise the MODE-READER capability
after the client uses the MODE READER command or after any security or
privacy commands are issued."

I'm looking for some text to reference in STARTTLS and AUTHINFO which
states this.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127