[NNTP] Base document status

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Feb 9 23:05:49 PST 2005

Russ Allbery said:
>> * In reading-v-transit, added the parenthetic wording in:
>
>>     A server MUST advertise either the IHAVE capability or the READER
>>     capability (or both).
>
> Might it not advertise only an authentication capability and nothing else
> until after authentication?

Oh f*$%&#. You're quite right.

> I'm not sure the best way to rephrase it taking into account capabilities
> that may not be available until after authentication.

This text derives from the earlier idea that a server was reader-only,
transit-only, both, or mode-switching. After all the changes, that's how it
ended up.

In fact, the requirement that we want there is:

    Except as an effect of the MODE READER command on a mode-switching
    server, once a server advertises either or both of the IHAVE or
    READER capabilities, it MUST NOT cease to advertise them later in the
    session.

I've changed it to that, and I'll reword the other stuff accordingly.