[NNTP] Base document status

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 9 14:44:25 PST 2005

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> * In reading-v-transit, added the parenthetic wording in:

>     A server MUST advertise either the IHAVE capability or the READER
>     capability (or both).

Might it not advertise only an authentication capability and nothing else
until after authentication?

> * Section 3.4.2 now reads:

>     An implementation MAY, but SHOULD NOT, provide both transit and
>     reader facilities on the same server but require the client to select
>     which it wishes to use.  Such an arrangement is called a
>     "mode-switching" server.

>     A mode-switching server has two modes:
>     o  Transit mode, which applies after the initial connection:
>        *  it MUST advertise the MODE-READER capability;
>        *  it MUST advertise the IHAVE capability;

Similar problem here with authentication.

>        *  it MUST not advertise the READER capability unless prefixed
>           with the -MODE-READER modifier;
>        *  it MAY advertise other capabilities with the -MODE-READER
>           modifier; if these have other modifiers as well, -MODE-READER
>           should be first.
>        However, the server MAY cease to advertise the MODE-READER
>        capability after the client uses any command except CAPABILITIES.
>     o  Reading mode, after a successful MODE READER (Section 5.3)
>        command:
>        *  it MUST advertise the READER capability;

And here.

I'm not sure the best way to rephrase it taking into account capabilities
that may not be available until after authentication.  Maybe we can omit
the bits about having to advertise IHAVE or READER and stick with just the
rules for advertising MODE-READER and the MUST NOT restrictions?

Other than that, it looks good to me.