[NNTP] Extension snapshots 3

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Feb 8 07:12:30 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>>STREAMING
>>>
>>>2.3.2: the last sentence contradicts the first. Since the first sentence
>>>says it MUST support MODE STREAM if streaming works, the SHOULD in the last
>>>sentence makes no sense. Just delete the last sentence.
>>
>>OK, I see your point.  What I'm trying to say is that MODE STREAM isn't
>>required (because its deprecated by CAPABILITIES), but if supported, it
>>returns 203.
>

> Isn't it easier just to require it? What's the benefit in allowing it to be
> not provided?

Based on Russ' input, we're deprecating it because its only use was as a
limited capability discovery command.  In the presence of LIST
CAPABILITIES, it really serves no purpuse.  We're only documenting it so
that a VERSION 2 server can still support a legacy client (peer).

I'll defer to whatever Russ thinks is "the right thing".

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127