[NNTP] Consensus?

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Sat Aug 13 14:30:46 PDT 2005

In <42FCCCE5.6070702 at nntpserver.com> Steve Walker <nntp at nntpserver.com> writes:

>Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> I don't accept that just telling people to use 2^64-1 is a solution.
>> Existing clients *ARE NOT* going to be updated "just like that", and any
>> proper solution needs to work reasonably well with such clients.

>Could you explain how it would cause any existing client or
>server to break that wasn't already going to break at the same
>point in time?

No client is going to break until some server breaks first.

If we do nothing, then it is a few servers which are going to break. That
is their problem. They will have to come to some arrangement with their
clients what to do about it.

And when we do produce our 'official' solution, it will have to include
some workaround for all those existing clients.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.