[NNTP] Thoughts on article number resetting/rollover

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Aug 12 06:36:22 PDT 2005

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> Hard to coordinate this between independent, non-cooperating servers
> (see the outsource case above).

I wasn't trying to solve any inter-server problems.

>  Ken> A mechanism like this seems like a pretty trivial extension to
>  Ken> NNTP (one extra param in the GROUP, LISTGROUP, and LIST ACTIVE
>  Ken> responses)
>
> You think you can alter those responses without breaking _every single
> client_ in existence?

I believe so, unless those clients are already broken.  We *should* be
able to add extra arguments to these responses without breaking existing
clients.  NNTP-BASE says: "The server MAY add any text after the
response code or last argument as appropriate, and the client MUST NOT
make decisions based on this text."  In fact, I was told that this is
the exact reason why we couldn't add an auto-capabilities response to
the "free text" area of a response.

Here's a potential strawman:

- Add a new UIDVALIDITY capability to the CAPABILTIES response, which
tells clients that the GROUP/LISTGROUP and LIST ACTIVE responses contain
UIDVALIDITY as an extra argument.

-Extend GROUP/LISTGROUP response:
211 number low high group uidvalidity

- Extend LIST ACTIVE response:
215 list follows:
group high low status uidvalidity

Clients that don't support the UIDVALIDITY extension, *should* ignore
the extra arguments (not sure about the LIST ACTIVE multi-line response
though).

Software Engineer     2495 Main St. - Suite 401
716-604-0088 x26      Buffalo, NY 14214