[NNTP] Thoughts on article number resetting/rollover

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Aug 11 06:44:09 PDT 2005

The whole discussion of the 2^32 limit for article numbers and rollover
got me thinking a little.  Rolling the numbers over is really no
different than if the server unilaterally resets the article numbers for
some reason (server crash, software change/upgrade).  Obviously admins
try to avoid this at all cost, but I'm sure it happens.  In either case,
the server should have some mechanism to tell the client that the
article numbers have changed, and that any cached data that it has is
invalid.

We need look no farther than IMAP (which also has a 2^32 limit for
article/message numbers BTW) for a solution.  Each mailbox on an IMAP
server has a UIDVALIDITY metadata item (usually a timestamp).  Any time
the existing UIDs of a mailbox are reset/reordered, the server changes
the UIDVALIDITY on the mailbox (new messages appended to the mailbox
does NOT cause any change to UIDVALIDITY).  When the client sees a
change in the UIDVALIDITY, it flushes its cache and re-reads the mailbox
to get the new message UIDs and contents.

A mechanism like this seems like a pretty trivial extension to NNTP (one
extra param in the GROUP, LISTGROUP, and LIST ACTIVE responses) and
would solve both the rollover and resetting of article numbers problems.
  This extension would be orthogonal to any BIGNUM extension and could
co-exist peacefully.

Thoughts?

Software Engineer     2495 Main St. - Suite 401
716-604-0088 x26      Buffalo, NY 14214