[NNTP] Consensus?

Steve Walker nntp at nntpserver.com
Tue Aug 9 18:26:11 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery wrote:
> For (1), the discussion has been wide-ranging enough that I'm not sure on
> (a).  I know some folks here would like the limit removed entirely, but I
> don't have a good feeling on what people think about 2^32-1 versus 2^31-1
> assuming that we keep a limit.  More discussion would be valuable there, I
> believe.

If you mean remove the limit in the draft and leave the issue
open for further discussion I'm ok with that.  The draft should
not be released as-is due to the major problems with the current
wording.

Personally I would like the wording changed to require (a MUST)
32 bit support and suggest (a SHOULD) 64 bit support.  It seems
the least likely to cause major problems.  Text clients could
standardize on 32 bit, instead of the current mix of 31 and 32
bit that we currently have, while the binary centered clients
would upgrade quickly to 64 bits, paving the way for other
clients as time goes on.  In the next major revision of the
standard the 64 bit SHOULD could be changed to a MUST.

Steve Walker