[NNTP] CAPABILITIES problem!

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Aug 2 07:04:24 PDT 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> We can change or remove either or both limits. For example:
>
>   A "keyword" MUST consist only of US-ASCII letters, digits, and the
>   characters dot (".") and dash ("-"), and MUST begin with a letter.
>   Keywords MUST be at least three characters and MUST NOT exceed 16
>   characters.
>
>     keyword = ALPHA 2*15(ALPHA / DIGIT / "." / "-")
>
> or:
>
>   A "keyword" MUST consist only of US-ASCII letters, digits, and the
>   characters dot (".") and dash ("-"), and MUST begin with a letter.
>   Keywords MUST be at least two characters.
>
>     keyword = ALPHA 1*(ALPHA / DIGIT / "." / "-")

My preference would be one of these two changes.  If we do limit the
length, is 16 still too short?  How about 20?  I still like 3 as the
lower limit.

> No other wording changes would be needed. I don't know what the
> implications are of changing the minimum or maximum command length. There
> is no such limit in RFC 977 and I don't know where it came from.

It looks like it was in Stan's -01 draft, but I can't find any
discussion leading up to this change.

Software Engineer     2495 Main St. - Suite 401
716-604-0088 x26      Buffalo, NY 14214