[NNTP] CAPABILITIES problem!

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Aug 1 06:41:30 PDT 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>>In 2 we state that a keyword MUST be at least 3 characters and MUST NOT
>>>  exceed 12 characters.
>

>>>(1) Relax the 12 character limit to something longer (where did it come
>>>from anyway?).
>

>>Either (1) or (2) works for me.
>

> I should have been clear that (1) would have effects beyond CAPABILITIES -
> command names are keywords, for example.

Right.  Then (2) or (3), with a preference for (2).  I think the only
reason we settled on IMPLEMENTATION is that its also used in POP3.
FWIW, POP3 capability tags (1 or more chars) are defined separately from
command keywords (3 or 4 chars).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127