[NNTP] LISTGROUP wording

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 04:57:23 PDT 2005

In <42708A28.2030801 at lovett.com> Ade Lovett <ade at lovett.com> writes:

>Of the (admittedly few) Windows (XP) and Mac (OSX) newsreaders I took a
>quick peek at, Forte's Agent was the one that really stood out as being
>a consumer of LISTGROUP - it seems to use it to cover against
>backfilling (heh..)

I would have thought a major use of LISTGROUP would be a s a quick way to
synchonize the client's and server's views of what articles remained in
the group.

<rant>
Opera is particularly bad in this respect. If you have finished with an
article, then you have to both mark it as read, and then 'delete' it.
Otherwise it continues to be presented as 'available' even though you will
be told it is no longer there if you try to read it.

Yes, they admit it is a shambles, but have not got enough Round Tuits to
fix it. It is an excellent mail reader (I use it), but they have just no
concept of the essential differences between mail and news. I doubt they
are even aware of the overview :-( .

</rant>

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.