[NNTP] Internationalisation, attempt 2

maurizio codogno puntomaupunto at tin.it
Fri Apr 29 05:43:39 PDT 2005

>   o  Header values SHOULD use US-ASCII or an encoding based on it such
>      as RFC 2047 [RFC2047] until such time as another approach has been
>      standardised. 8-bit encodings (including UTF-8) MAY be used but
>      are likely to cause interoperability problems.

I would move the last sentence to a separate paragraph. I don't like
to read in the specifics that an implementation is likely to cause
interoperability problems... At least, say "Legacy 8-bit encodings...".

As for the first sentence, is there a simpler way to assess that in
future other encodings may be standardises? I am confident "Until such
time as" is good English, but I find it difficult to understand it.

>   o  Where an article is obtained from an external source an
>      implementation MAY pass it on, and derive data from it (such as
>      the response to the HDR command), even though the article or the
>      data does not meet the above requirements.  Implementations MUST
>      transfer such articles and data correctly.  (Nevertheless, a
>      client or server MAY elect not to post or forward the article if,
>      after further examination of the article, it deems it
>      inappropriate to do so.)

Could you state that if it decides to pass it it must do it verbatim?
Otherwise some implementation could choose to "rectify" the non-standard
header value, and this would be a Very Bad Thing.

ciao, .mau.