[NNTP] LISTGROUP wording

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Apr 27 07:18:30 PDT 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>>>Do Andrew's comments count as an objection? If so, what happens next?
>>
>>Obviously, I'm not going to speak for Andrew, but I took his comments as
>>a possible objection to the LISTGROUP initial response line changing
>>format, not an objection to making LISTGROUP mandatory.
>

> He pointed out that he wasn't storing the group name anywhere. I assumed
> that made LISTGROUP (no arguments) hard to implement.

True.  Can we just make the group name required for both GROUP and
LISTGROUP?  As we stated before, its hard to believe that the client
doesn't know what group is currently selected, so using [LIST]GROUP with
no argument seems like unnecessary functionality.  Furthermore, since
LISTGROUP selects the group in the same way as GROUP, it doesn't make
any sense to me that a client would waste a roundtrip and/or bandwidth
by sending "GROUP <group>" followed by "LISTGROUP" (whether pipelined or
not).

I supposed we'd have to solicit client authors to see if anybody
actually uses LISTGROUP with no argument in practice.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127