[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Tue Apr 26 11:59:57 PDT 2005

 > "Andrew - Supernews" <andrew at supernews.net> writes:
 >> Did someone sneak in a change to the LISTGROUP result text while I
 >> wasn't looking? LISTGROUP traditionally does _NOT_ return the same
 >> output as GROUP does; that may be a wart, but it's worth noting that
 >> there is _no other place_ in the protocol that requires the server
 >> to remember the name of the current group.

 Russ> Yeah, this was changed quite a while back and is what INN
 Russ> currently does.  At least year or two, I think, and there was a
 Russ> fair bit of discussion about it at the time.  I don't recall
 Russ> any concerns being raised at the time; do you feel that this is
 Russ> going to cause problems?

It certainly will for me, because I never store the group name
anywhere in reader code, and in a lot of places I use only
md5(groupname) as an internal equivalent.

I must have missed it before, or didn't catch the implications... I'll
have to go back and look.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com