[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 26 11:42:15 PDT 2005

Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

> I was one of those people. But above all, I want the following two
> properties to hold:

> A. Assuming 5-1 is not an error, then the effect of
>    LISTGROUP groupname 5-1
> MUST be identical to the effect of
>    LISTGROUP groupname.

Er.  That's a completely different behavior than anyone has noted in
practice or asked for before.  Did you mean GROUP groupname in your second
example there?

> B. Given that the reported High and Low watermarks are known, then the
> effect of
>    LISTGROUP groupname Low-High
> MUST be identical to the effect of
>    LISTGROUP groupname
> even when the group is empty, which implies that 5-1 means an emtpy range,
> rather than an error.

Saying that 5-1 is the empty range contradicts what you said in A above,
unless you meant GROUP.

Assuming you mean GROUP, I agree with both of what you say.

> I would still prefer it to be set to the first article of the returned
> list (if non-empty), but will defer to the majority view. BUT, if the
> returned list is emtpy, then it would still have to select the firsrt
> article in the group in order to preserve those two properties.

Right.