[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Apr 26 09:29:49 PDT 2005

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>  Clive> Can we make the parameter to GROUP be optional?
>
> No.

I assume this is because you're afraid that a NNTPv2 client will try to
send this to a legacy server?

>  Clive> The purpose is to allow the client to determine the currently
>  Clive> selected group. At present this can be done by using LISTGROUP
>  Clive> with no arguments,
>
> "At present" meaning in the spec, or in existing implementations?
>
> Did someone sneak in a change to the LISTGROUP result text while I
> wasn't looking? LISTGROUP traditionally does _NOT_ return the same
> output as GROUP does; that may be a wart, but it's worth noting that
> there is _no other place_ in the protocol that requires the server
> to remember the name of the current group.

AFAICT, the initial response line for LISTGROUP was changed to match
GROUP way back in draft 16 (Clive's first).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127