[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 03:34:31 PDT 2005

In <Pine.LNX.4.63.0504251005030.26435 at shiva2.cac.washington.edu> Mark Crispin <mrc at cac.washington.edu> writes:

>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>>> The benefit is compliance with standard Internet protocol architecture.
>> Meaning what? Just where is this "standard Internet protocol architecture"
>> documented?

>It is not MY job to do YOUR research for you.

If you are asked a straight question, you should be giving a straight
answer.

>  If you can not fufill your
>responsibilities as document editor, then please resign and allow someone
>who is more responsible to take over.

This is no time to be thinking of changing editors. For the record, may I
say that I have complete confidence in Clive Feather's capabilities as an
editor.

>> As I said, if we were starting from scratch I would agree with you, but it
>> is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY POINTLESS trying to change things now. That would
>> be *foolish* consistency.

>It is not pointless to free future implementors from the burden of the
>current non-standard ad-hoc system of response codes.

And it is worse than pointless to impose a change that is not backwards
compatible with existing practice. It would also be in breach of our
charter.

>Also, "current selected newsgroup" is a grammar error; it should be
>"currently selected newsgroup".  Even when a verb
>is used as an adjectival, the modifier of that verb must still be an
>adverb.

Yes, I would agree with you there.

>Yet you cluttered up the protocol with a pointless three zeros response
>for which there is no need since there are other responses which fufill
>the same requirements.

Kindly refrain from blaming the current editor ("you") for a feature which
long predated his appointment as editor, and which presumably had the
consensus of the WG at the time it was introduced.

It is there for backwards compatibility. Some existing servers produce it.
The draft deprecates it for new software, but it is not going to go away;
clients still have to understand it.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.